1. Failure to plan. No matter what type of business you are running you need a business plan with well-defined goals. What are your short-term and long-term goals? What steps do you need to take to meet those goals? Write out your plan and review it frequently. You are running a small business. Treat it as one.
2. Failure to work the plan So you already have a business plan? Are you following it? A plan means nothing if you don't follow it. Work the plan every single day. Revise it if necessary but don't detract from it.
3. Making goals too big early on Many internet marketing failures try to do too much too fast. You are not going to create the ultimate website for dog lovers overnight. Start small with dog training tips and add content daily. Those 1,000+ page websites took months or years to build, so will yours.
4. Lack of knowledge Would you be a successful plumber without knowing anything about plumbing? No. Then to be a successful internet marketer for your business you need to learn internet marketing. Find a successful mentor willing to help you and you will be way ahead of the crowd.
5. Not investing in your business You won't get any support or very much web traffic on with a free web host. Many times, the best ebooks, scripts, and tools are the ones that cost money. You can run an online business for next to nothing but you'll achieve faster and more profitable results by investing in the right tools.
6. "If I build it, they will come" You can have the most comprehensive and informative website on natural healing in the world but if you don't promote your site and work to drive traffic to it no one will know about it.
7. Lack of patience Online marketing is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes time and testing to build your web traffic and increase your conversion rate. In the beginning you might actually lose money and this is when too many people give up without giving their business time to grow.
8. Wrong niche So you wrote that ebook on underwater basket weaving and you're wondering why nobody is buying it? Find a niche but make sure it's profitable first. Too many times people create the product first then try to figure out how to sell it. Find out what the people want then give or sell it to them.
9. No Uniqueness There are a million low carb diet books out there, what makes yours so unique? Why should I buy yours when Bob's books are just as good and he's been selling them a lot longer than you? Stand out from the crowd and get noticed. Know your competition and do what they do better or do something totally different.
10. Lack of commitment To be successful, you must be committed to success. Behind every success story there are many hours of work and dedication.
Everyday review your online business and make sure you are not making any of these mistakes. Do this and you are well on your way.